The University of Connecticut, a top 25 Public University, seeks a skilled and energetic individual to serve as the Director of Student Affairs Information Technology. Student Affairs IT provides all IT services to UConn’s Division of Student Affairs in support of the mission to provide programs, services, and co-curricular experiences that enhance student success. Student Affairs and its IT department will be critical component to the University’s continued growth and development.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Student Affairs Information Technology provides leadership and management for the fourteen departments in the Division of Student Affairs in the areas of planning, coordinating and implementing Division-wide IT services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the activities of nineteen (19) staff, including work schedules and work assignments of the department comprising of the following areas: system administrators, application developers, web development, help desk, and technical support; identify staffing needs and be responsible for hiring, firing, supervision, training, and evaluation; manages all personnel functions in conjunction with leadership from the Division of Student Affairs.
- Provide management and technical leadership in designing, developing, scheduling and implementing Division-wide IT and related processes, including customer support services within the department and across the Division, and using industry best practices in establishing and managing Division IT priorities, project goals, parameters and processes. Such leadership requires a thorough understanding and direct application of the principles of computer systems, network systems and/or information management systems.
- Prepare and manage a budget of ~$3,500,000, including department personnel expenses, all Division of Student Affairs IT hardware (including annual computer inventory and replacement cycle), and numerous software and third party vendor contracts. Prepare and submit comprehensive plans and supporting information to aid in effective Divisional and Departmental budgeting process as well as short and long-range planning.
- Provide final authority for all department project work, including evaluation, selection and acquisition of hardware and software, as well as product installation, testing and documentation; interfaces with vendors as needed to ensure successful completion of projects.
- Plan and coordinate the implementation of strategic phases for Division IT projects in conjunction with the Division of Student Affairs Leadership Team and in concert with the Division of Student Affairs strategic plan; evaluate and create statistical and narrative reports to support the IT needs within the Division.
- Oversee standards for the design, programming configuration, installation and documentation of information systems, including the design and implementation of operating systems and network support; evaluate the needs and/or efficiency of present technical systems and make recommendations based on analysis of current and future needs of the Division, new advances in the field, applicability of technology to Division and University systems and consideration of the most cost-effective delivery of services.
- Serve on the Division of Student Affairs Leadership Team and co-chair the Student Affairs IT Oversight Committee to determine if and how proposed IT projects meet the needs of the Department and Division’s Strategic Planning Goals to enhance functional operations in the pursuit of providing the best service to our students.
- Work closely with University Information Technology Services (UITS) to ensure no duplication of services and to coordinate the continuous, uninterrupted availability and functionality of Division computer systems; coordinate appropriate resources to respond to unforeseen outages and emergencies. Analyze plans and directs security and disaster recovery needs as part of system development to mitigate against errors or unforeseen outages. Responsible for immediate response and appropriate recovery (Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity processes) of all IT processes and systems.
- Serve on University-wide technology planning and policy committees as appropriate. Represent the Division of Student Affairs on various University planning and search committees as appropriate.
- Coordinate collaborative communication with all departments within the Division of Student Affairs agencies and/or University departments including UITS and Procurement.
- Promote the use of appropriate technology to streamline and/or improve efficiency for the Division of Student Affairs in conjunction with other units across the University and work to minimize/eliminate redundancy of services/support in concert with others across the University.
- Create comprehensive reports and present findings as necessary including progress reports on annual and long-term goals and objectives.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer related field or equivalent combination of training and significant experience
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsible management experience in IT related functions, specifically with oversight of multiple IT functions and teams
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of overall computing, communications and network systems and information management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and analytical experience
- Demonstrated experience with creation/forecasting and managing of annual budgets
- Experience in project management and interacting with a multi-faceted University environment
- Master’s degree in related area
- Experience with management in a unionized environment
The anticipated start date is August 2017. This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is commensurate with background and experience and includes a full benefits package.
Please visit www.jobs.uconn.edu to submit a cover letter, resume, as well as the names and contact information of three references in Word or PDF format by May 18, 2017. An official transcript will be required if an invitation for an on-campus interview is extended. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017494)
The job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on May 18, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.