Payroll Title: Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst 2 – UCP 7
Under the direction of the Student Affairs Technology Operations Manager, the Systems Administrator provides technical expertise and support of the efficient, effective, and reliable operation of the University’s Division of Student Affairs information technology systems and services. As a member of the Systems Administration team, this individual is responsible for the desktop and server environment/administration. The position will evolve to include support of a growing list of enterprise applications including all backend infrastructure.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Desktop and server systems administration work including patch management, software updating, implementation of new systems as well as upgrades to current systems
- Advanced level troubleshooting for desktop environment issues in support of the helpdesk and desktop support staff
- Install and maintain computer hardware, operating systems, and commercial software products
- Monitor server, infrastructure, and workstation logs and take appropriate action to correct system anomalies, instability, and errors
- Collaborate with other information technology staff to create a functional, reliable, and easy to use desktop and network computer environment
- Implement and monitor security policies and appropriate use policies for Division computer systems
- Assist with documenting system architecture, monitoring procedures, policies, and routine maintenance procedures
- The Systems Administrator may supervise student workers
- Perform related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in computer-related field or equivalent combination of training and experience. Five years of technical experience will substitute for a bachelor’s degree
- Two to three years of highly technical and progressively responsible technical experience that demonstrates a good working knowledge and understanding of enterprise-wide hardware and software. This is in addition to the five years of technical experience that may substitute for a degree
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining state-of-the-art technical knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to both a technical and non-technical audiences
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented, fast-paced information technology environment
- Willingness and ability to work flexible schedule as required such as evenings and occasional weekends
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other area of study requiring advanced problem-solving skills
- Experience with desktop computer virtualization and/or terminal services such as Microsoft RDS or Citrix.
- Experience with Desktop and Server OS administration such as Windows or Linux
- Experience with database administration, configuration and management such as SQL, MySQL or Oracle
- Experience working with Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy Management
- Experience with backup and recovery services such as VRanger, Veeam or Tivoli Storage Manager
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is commensurate with background and experience and includes a full benefits package. The anticipated start date for the position is November 2016.
- Work/Life Balance
- A comprehensive benefits package
- Dependent child tuition waivers; employee tuition waivers/reimbursements
- Go to http://hr.uconn.edu/jobs/
- Click “Staff Positions” and search for position #2017155
- For full consideration submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references in Word or PDF format. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on November 28, 2016.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.